The Government has produced a good practice guide for businesses on how to help customers better understand contractual terms and privacy policies.
The guide provides tips on encouraging customers to open Terms and Conditions (T&Cs) and privacy notices, as well as improving customer understanding of them.
The guide focuses on ‘How’ to better present information to the consumer and not on ‘What’ this information should be.
Some of the techniques suggested for improving understanding of T&Cs include:
- Display key terms as frequently asked questions
- Use icons to illustrate key terms
- Show customers your terms in a scrollable text box instead of requiring a click to view them
- Provide information in short chunks at the right time
- Use illustrations and comics
Access the Contractual terms and privacy policies: how to improve consumer understanding guide on the GOV.UK website.