The vehicle rental and leasing industry has embraced the introduction of emissions-based motoring taxes and used the incentives they provide to deliver a sustained and substantial reduction in average CO₂ emissions. A fair, consistent and well-signalled tax system can play a vital role in helping the government to meet its air quality policy goals by actively encouraging the uptake of cleaner, greener vehicles.
- Motoring taxes – we continue to engage regularly and extensively with HM Treasury around the need for certainty in Benefit-in-Kind tax rates and fairness in VED and work with trade associations like the CBI who support these asks.
- Super deductions – have worked with the FLA and CBI to challenge leasing and rental’s exclusion from the super deduction, we have met with senior officials from HMT and HMRC to make our case.
- VAT and electricity for EVs – following member requests we received clarification from HMRC around VAT treatment and EV charging, this guidance is not sufficient and additional details are expected.
- VAT and end of termination charges – the BVRLA continues to engage extensively with HMRC on this issue, following our latest submission we expect new draft guidance from HMRC to be shared in the coming weeks.
- Benefit-in-Kind taxation and shared mobility – working with members to develop a robust position around BiK and shared mobility
The rental and leasing sectors play a vital role as a key purchaser of vehicles, parts and services and remarketer of used cars, vans and trucks. In 2019 BVRLA members purchased approximately 50% of new vehicles and 80% of BEV cars.
However; there needs to be long term policy clarity across Government departments. Alignment between environmental, industrial strategy and taxation measures will ensure our industry can continue to drive the zero emission vehicle transition.
The Government should continue to support the transition to zero emission vehicles, with a focus on demand-side incentives, but should note that rental companies do not benefit from the same total cost of ownership savings as those fleets who refuel their electric vehicles.