The right documentation to take vehicles abroad

Are your customers taking their vehicle abroad? Contact the association to purchase VE103B Certificates to issue to customers taking rental or leased vehicles to Europe.

The VE103 Vehicle on Hire Certificate must be carried in all rented or leased vehicles when travelling abroad if the vehicle registration document is not available. It is the only legal alternative to the vehicle registration document – letters of authority and photocopies of the V5C (logbook) are not valid substitutes.

Having this legally required document to prove ownership ensures that the vehicle does not get refused at the border, or worse still, impounded.

Rented or leased vehicles include those on short- or long-term hire. This includes not only daily rental but contract hire, finance lease, contract purchase and employee car ownership schemes.

Drivers need to be aware of what documentation they are required to carry when taking their vehicle abroad. The association encourages members to make sure they inform customers about what documentation is required. This is important to protect the customer and the vehicle asset as in the worst case, vehicles can be seized if the driver does not present the right paperwork either at the border or if required by an official overseas.

See the Taking a vehicle abroad information page.

The BVRLA has produced a Communications Toolkit to support members with their communications to customers.

More tags