The next General Election must take place before the end of January 2025. The time is therefore ripe for the vehicle rental and leasing sectors to set out the steps required from Government over the coming years in order to secure the transition to zero emission road transport.
The BVRLA's 2024 'Future of Fleets Manifesto' focuses on three key themes, broken down into nine crucial, tangible actions the Government must take post the General Election to secure the transition to zero emission road transport.
1. Lock in the ZEV Mandate - Industry needs to trust the goal posts won’t move
2. Publish a transport tax road map - Confirm the future of VED, fuel duty, and benefit-in-kind
3. Develop and update detailed plans - From trucks to charging, long-term strategic pathways are needed
4. Increased fiscal support - The maths don’t add up, buyers need more help
5. Remove regulatory barriers - Need full alignment of 4.25t ZEVs with diesel vans
6. Improve charging - Public and private networks don’t work for vans and trucks
7. Support used ZEVs - To open the transition to all, more consumer help is needed
8. Unlock the rental sector - Rental is overlooked but has a pivotal role in delivering decarbonisation
9. Cheaper, better charging - We need more public chargers with cheaper rates
Read the manifesto in full below: