Commercial Vehicles

Advice regarding truck operation in a post Brexit UK

Whilst the UK is due to leave the EU at the end of January, the country will actually enter a transition period where current rules will still apply until the end of the transition period which finishes in December 2020.

This period may be extended if no trade deal has been finalised at this point.

This means that though the UK might formally leave the EU, there is no requirement for many of these changes until the transition period is finished – and there future requirement will be dependent on what sort of UK-EU trade deal is negotiated.

HGV drivers may need to register for extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA after the transition period.

This includes registering certain trailers with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and carrying trailer registration certificate.

Depending on the trade deal negotitated UK HGV drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA. 


Step by step guide for hauliers

The UK Government had published a step by step guide to help hauliers understand what documentation is required and what steps need to be taken for haulage drivers when passing through customs if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.