Member Service

Vehicle on Hire Certificates

Renters and Company Vehicle Drivers

If you wish to take your leased or rented vehicle abroad and need some advice on 'vehicles travelling abroad' please click here.  You need the permission of the vehicle rental or leasing company in the first instance.

BVRLA Members

It is a legal requirement for drivers to carry their vehicle registration documents when travelling abroad. Rental and leasing companies are reluctant to release original vehicle registration documents because of the potential for their loss, fraud and theft.  The DVLA introduced the Vehicle on Hire Certificate in 1963. It provides the necessary authenticated proof ensuring the hirer has permission of the vehicle owner to take the vehicle abroad..
The Vehicle on Hire certificate contains details of the vehicle taken from the V5C Vehicle Registration Documents, along with the name and address of the hirer.  It enables the authorities to verify that the person driving the vehicle has permission to do so. Photocopies of the V5C or letters of authority are not accepted. The BVRLA provides VE103B certificates to its members.
Ordering VE103Bs is easy: simply download the order form here and email to

Certificates can be supplied in pads of 50 where you can choose to have your registered keeper address printed onto the forms at no extra cost for quick completion or single forms for in-house completion through your central fleet and customer administration system.

An emergency next-day delivery service for single VE103Bs is available Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays), provided the order is received before 3pm.

Fleet Managers
Some members of the BVRLA act as Fleet Managers for their clients, who may not wish to issue their V5C to their employees travelling abroad. Although such vehicles are not necessarily on hire, the DVLA has granted permission for our members to issue VE103Bs to drivers taking fleet managed vehicles abroad under the following conditions:
  • The Fleet Management company is contracted by the Client to manage their vehicles
  • The registered keeper name on the DVLA vehicle record is shown as the Client
  • The registered keeper address is shown as Care Of the Fleet Management company
  • An employee of the client is taking the vehicle abroad
  • The client has expressed clearly that the V5C should not be given to the driver


DRIVE Europe
BVRLA Members can provide their fleet customers with a valuable service via 24/7 access to a call centre and same day dispatch of VE103B documentation as part of our DRIVE Europe driver pack.  The service is provided in partnership with Gloucester-based All Fleet Services and in addition to the documentation includes data retrieval via the DVLA vehicle record and text messaging direct to the driver confirming when the pack was sent.  The driver pack can be personalised and charged directly to the client or to the BVRLA member.  

For more information on travelling abroad and VE103B certificates, call us on 01494 545714 or email


Vehicles travelling abroad FAQs

What happens if a hire vehicle is stopped without a vehicle on hire certificate?

The consequences will vary according to the country, the law enforcement agency and even the time of day in which the vehicle was stopped. The driver may be fined or the vehicle may be impounded. Without a vehicle on hire certificate your customer and your vehicle are unprotected and vulnerable to a potentially major inconvenience.

What countries require vehicle on hire certificate documentation to accompany drivers of hired vehicles?

All EU/EEA member states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

As well as: Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Russian Federation, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine.

Is a fax or photocopy of the vehicle on hire certificate acceptable?

No. Only the original vehicle on hire certificate is acceptable to overseas authorities, if you don't supply this you could risk your vehicle being impounded or the hirer incurring a fine.

What details need to be entered on the vehicle on hire certificate?

The vehicle on hire certificate data must exactly match the V5/logbook document. If a V5/logbook field is blank then leave the field on the vehicle on hire certificate blank as well. Instructions for completion can be downloaded here.

What advice does the DVLA provide for taking vehicles out of the UK temporarily?
DVLA reference the vehicle on hire certificate here.